And now that I have paid the large expedition fee (in Euro's at a somewhat awful exchange rate), there is no going back.......
Bike and spares are packed!
I am still trying to downscale on clothes and toiletries, but I know after a few weeks I will have it all (no so) neatly packed in my 65l back pack!
Indemnity forms signed, travel insurance bought....my profile ready for uploading on the Website....and quoted below:
Having been working in the corporate world in London and South Africa for the last 15 years, I am looking forward to 2009 and a year of adventures. The idea of a cycling trip started when a colleague said “you seem like the adventurous type, have you heard of Tour d’Afrique” I had always wanted to travel through South America but how was I going to get 4 months off? I didn’t think much more of it until a few months later when my company’s relocation and restructuring forced me to rethink my career options and realised this dream could be a reality. My next bonus went on the purchase of a bike, and then all the equipment that came with it (not a cheap hobby) and a skills course to teach you all you need to know from changing tyres to bunny hops. And then you discover how many people love to ride.... a whole new social activity. Moments of feeling alive on a jeep track in Tokai looking out over False Bay on a perfect day....and falling back to earth literally and figuratively down single track designed for advanced riders – I am a novice and had just fitted my cleats......
Those moments of really feeling alive have occurred a lot more in the last 3 months and weeks.... I visited Bulungula lodge in the Wild Coast in SA (10kms south of Coffee Bay, 13hrs journey from Cape Town by taxi, plane, taxi, bus, shuttle) What an inspiring place from the people, the ocean, the waves, sunrise, green fertile hills and then the Bulungula Incubator project.... a sustainable development project aimed at uplifiting poverty in the community by addressing health, education and building small enterprises in the remote village.
I know there will be days where I will need to dig deep to find further inspiration and I will think of Bulungula and my goal to raise R100,000 to support various projects. For more information refer to www.bulungula.com and my travel blog http://tiffytravellog.blogspot.com
I am soooo excited, and a little sad because I will be missing friends and family, so please email/add a comment on my blog, I want to hear all your news too......I will get better at this blog thing, so be patient with me, please!
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hello tiffy darling - am v impressed with your use of modern technology, but even more so at the whole expedition. I'm totally jealous! Althought I must say the S America bit looks pretty hardcore.
ReplyDeleteWe can't wait to see you here in Singapore and to send you on your way in style...
Hello Natasha,
ReplyDeleteBOM MESMO É IR À LUTA COM DETERMINÇÃO, ABRAÇAR A VIDA E VIVER COM PAIXÃO, PERDER COM CLASSE E VIVER COM OUSADIA. POIS O TRIUNFO PERTENCE A QUEM SE ATREVE, E A VIDA É MUITO BELA PARA SER INSIGNIFICANTE. Get help on your travels with the translation, It is Portuguese.
Charles Chaplin
Regards Kellen Loureiro
Hi Tiffy
ReplyDeleteWe'll be watching your travels with great interest (and envy) ... have a blast! Lots of love from Baku...
Chris & Rory