Friday, April 17, 2009

A tour of Unesco Heritage sites in Vietnam - 1. Hoi An

I only planned to be in Vietnam for approx 2 weeks which is seriously not enough time to experience everything this diverse country has to offer. As in life, it was time to make choices.
I did not deliberately plan to focus on Unesco Heritage sites but the well-trodden tourist path and transport routes direct you to these areas. In addition, I had already chosen the seaside experience and would be heading to the northern highlands for mountains and tribal village experience.
Vietnam is a long country and travelling between destinations can take a while, expecially the bus and train options, and so with limited time (in South East Asia, I know I have a year off) I justified the short, cheap flight to Danang, abouth half way to Hanoi and the gateway to Hoi An, a Unesco Heritage site since 1999.





As it was not destroyed by American bombs during the war, it is a well-preserved example of a Southeast Asian trading port of the 15th to 19th centuries, with buildings that display a unique blend of local and foreign influences (China, Japan, Holland, India).
It was lovely to stroll down the cobbled streets and riverside, gawping at the beautiful buildings, the bustling market and streets lined with tailors, art dealers, souvenir shops and traditional homes. And the restaurants are prolific, offering fine food, cooking classes and fine wine!
Never one to pass on a shopping opportunity, I ordered some clothes from a tailor, with the large discounts back home, it is not as cheap as it's made out to be but it was fun, and for those who have been here before, I stayed clear of backpacker style clothes and had a couple of my favourites copied (they were starting to look a bit tatty anyway!).
I mentioned the food, some examples are White Roses - steamed rice dumpling with shrimps - delicate and delicious, Fresh Spring Rolls with shrimps, herbs & vermicelli - positively healthy!, and Lau Cao - noodle soup with port, chips, salad - okay!) - I decided to make a day of it, and registered for Red Bridge Cooking class, a professional outfit and fun day, starting at the market - what a feast for the eyes and stomach, and some things, one can't stomach, followed by another leisurely boat trip to their restaurant and cooking class - cool and luxurious, a tour of their herb garden and then the show began. We had a number of demonstrations, we then had a chance to make a few dishes and then enjoyed these as well as further dishes for lunch - gastronomic delight. The menu included: Fresh shrimp spring rolls (including making of the rice paper wrapping), seafood salad with herbs served in a pineapple, Hoi An pancakes (filling of shrimps, pork and herbs), Vetnamese eggplant in clay pot and Steamed Ocen Fish on a bed of fresh vegetables. Perhaps I will get the opportunity to serve some of these delicious dishes to you...next year!


Other attractions:
There is a famous temple called My Son, but unfortunately mostly destroyed by those American bombs, but a nice day out set in beautiful forests, and a leisurely boat trip back passing a few traditional villages. Also would add that after Angkor Wat, any temple is a little disappointing, however, we had a very amusing and interesting guide which makes for a good day out on the tourist trail.
There is also a beach, which I visited on a short bicycle trip, but not the best beach on my travels and quickly filling up with luxurious resorts!






















No comments:

Post a Comment