Friday, April 17, 2009

Vietnam - Phu Quoc Island

Phu quoc is a beautiful island with many hotels with bungalows and restaurants on the main beach, suitably called Long Beach. The island is about the size of Singapore and is mostly National Park with few roads and even fewer that are tarred. Given its size it was appropriate to hire a motorbike to tour the island, although a very dusty and bumpy experience (especially when first getting used to the gears), but fabulous to ride for miles along quiet roads running up the coastline, with palmtree lined beaches, a few fishing villages and very little else along the way. I stopped at a lovely beach restaurant - Wings - run by a 30ish local lady - 2 tables, 4 deckchairs, no other restaurants, people and just views of the aquamarine blue sea and a lone fishermen. She sat and chatted to me about life while I enjoyed the most delicious bbq/braaied fish and salad - heaven. And very refreshing swim!
I joined Rainbow divers for a day trip - a few hours by boat up the east coast - the diving was very good (compared to Cape Town but not as spectacular as Similan) with 30deg water, 7m depth, 7m viz. A really good dive for checking out the small stuff - nudibranch (snails), shrimp, crabs, rays, and even a small shark. Staff were great and enjoyed delicious traditional meal on board and chilled out on deck. It was pretty quiet, being the end of the season and they shut up shop and head up to Nha Trang where the season is starting there. On the whole, I wouldn't head to Vietnam specifically for a diving holiday, and it will be a while until the next diving opportunity!
I only spent 2 nights on the island and I loved heading out early in the evening for long walks on the beach, watching locals swimming in the sea, fishing boats heading in for the evening or the brightly lit squid boats heading out, the sun setting and then dinner on the beach, sand between your toes, ice cold beer, bbq/braaied prawns.....I am still in heaven! Well I couldn't resist another sunset photo!
After my beach escapes, it was time to head back to mainland Vietnam to experience the wonderful cities, culture and countryside!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tiffy

    Your photos are amazingingly beautiful. It sounds like you are having a fantastic time. I think of you often and wonder how you doing? All well in CT although winter seems to have arrived this weekend, which I'm not that excited about. I will email you as Jax sent me your address , which I lost. Lots of love Jane

    ReplyDelete