Arriviing in Riga with no guide book, no map, or accomodation, was slightly liberating after the organised Russia leg. I found the place quite charming, people were friendly, weather warm, town was quiet (early Sunday morning ?I reckon all the stag parties were still in bed) and it was phenominally cheap (after Russia!). So it was great to wander around the cobbled streets of old town taking in the art deco buildings, church squares. As I felt cultural overload from museums and churches, I took advantage of good weather and headed for nearby beach, with the rest of Latvia!
Great long beaches ...but we are really spoilt in South Africa, so I wasn´t overly impressed with the sand and sea, but it was a cool neighbourhood with holiday homes and pedestrianised area lined with bars, shops and restaurants which was nice to chill out at.
With only a few days in Latvia, and an urge for nature, open spaces and to get on a bicycle, I headed to Sigulda, a small town near the Gauja National Park, hired a bike and followed some great MTB trials along river and in surrounding area.Takin in a castle and gardens and a few other sights. Nice and relaxing and good to get some time in saddle!
It was only a few days but a nice taste of the Baltics, certainly a destination/area to head back to!
No comments:
Post a Comment